MSdos.sys: function?
Peter Clara
2004-01-02 23:36:08 UTC
Could someone explain me what msdos.sys did in the original version (not
under windows 98/95) but in straight DOS?
And the function of the io.sys. If i lok at the extension i should be a
collection of drivers, am I right? The io.ys, I assume, contains drivers for
the input/output devices, like keyboard but i could be mistaking? Is there
still a dos expert?

Peter
Richard Bonner
2004-01-03 04:14:24 UTC
Peter Clara
2004-01-04 13:01:25 UTC
Cristal clear,

Thank you

Peter
Post by Richard Bonner
Post by Peter Clara
Could someone explain me what msdos.sys did in the original version (not
under windows 98/95) but in straight DOS?
And the function of the io.sys. If i look at the extension it should be
a collection of drivers, am I right? The io.sys, I assume, contains
drivers for the input/output devices, like keyboard but i could be
mistaken?
*** The short version is that these files set up the computer for usage
by DOS. After the ROM BIOS configures the basic computer hardware and RAM,
it reads the IO.sys and MSDOS.sys files into memory. This part is called
the "bootstrap procedure". Control is then passed to those two files.
IO.sys contains the DOS BIOS and system initialisation module. Also
contained are the resident drivers AUX, CON, PRN, and CLOCK$. There are
additional drivers for character and block devices.
MSDOS.sys is the DOS kernel. It provides management for files,
directories, memory, the environment, etc. It also handles time & date,
task management, and some other configuration work such as country codes.
These files are manipulated via the CONFIG.sys file. If there is
no CONFIG.sys, defaults are loaded.
After these files have configured the computer at boot-up, the command
interpreter is loaded (usually COMMAND.com) and the system is made ready
for work.
Post by Peter Clara
Is there still a dos expert?
Peter
*** There are many. You'll see a good number by reading this newsgroup.
Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/